Green peas with mixed vegetables to make a yummy masala side dish for phulkas or even basmati rice . I call it a bachelors recipe as it is all made in the pressure cooker which is probably the only main cooking appliance with a bachelor . The ease with which this dish can be made will tempt the busy housewife too. While this is a no onion no garlic dish you can easily add them to the dish to suit your preference .
Usually I start making phulkas along side while the pressure cooker does the job .
The recipe is simple and yet retains a yummy flavor with not too many ingredients to make it a complicated dish . The same recipe is good for many veg dishes .
This is my basic recipe for many veg side dishes made in the same manner . Once in a while I choose from the add ons mentioned in the suggestions list below to give it a richer flavor .
1 1/2 cup mix of vegetables like chopped cubed carrots , beans , potatoes and some green peas
3/4 cup tomato purée made by grinding fresh tomatoes with 2 Kashmiri chilies for good colour .
1 tsp coriander powder
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt as required
2 tsp garam masala or kitchen King masala powder
1/4 cup coconut milk made using coconut milk powder
Chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
Take a pressure cooker
Heat it and add oil .
Add cumin seeds .let it brown a bit .
Add chopped vegetables , sautée well in the oil and then add tomato purée .
Now add all powders except coconut milk , salt , some coriander leaves for flavor . Save some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing later .
Add 3 cups water or just enough to enable cooking .
Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles . Depends what kind of cooker you have .
Open cooker when cooled naturally .
Take a ladle and mash lightly ( especially potatoes ) to blend vegetables with masala mixture .
Again Keep on low flame and add coconut milk .
Let it cook for 2 minutes till mixture starts thickening. The masala mixture becomes fragrant .
Add remaining coriander leaves .
Serve with phulkas or basmati rice .
1. To add onions and garlic to recipe . Add 1 big onion finely chopped and sautée with cumin seeds and oil till translucent then add other vegetables .
2. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste to veggies mixture and sautée well with little oil before adding water to mixture .
3. To make recipe even richer add some fresh cream while serving .
4. Add 1 tbsp butter after opening cooker . Keep on low heat after adding coconut milk .
5. 1/4 cup soaked cashew nut paste ( after grinding. ) can be added instead of coconut milk .
6. Almond paste can be used instead of cashew paste .
7. After cooker is opened some roasted paneer cubes can be added to the the mixture and kept covered . The paneer will become soft in the hot mixture .
All add ons will make the dish tasty and calories rich too !
Choice is yours.