Fenugreek seeds sprouts or methi sprouts is easy and quick to grown in your kitchen with minimum needs.
You don't need a fancy gadget or a sprouter. A simple tea sieve will do the job !
It is always better to make sprouts at home than go for the store ones .
You can also sprout a very small quantity that you will use up in a week rather than making in bulk .
Even if you store in refrigerator after sprouting it is better to use them quickly, besides sprouts can be made easily as and when you need them.
Fenugreek seeds or methi is a spice traditionally used in Ayurveda for all kinds of stomach and digestive problems . It is also an Important spice in any Indian kitchen.
The benefits of fenugreek either in seed form or sprouted form Is immense .
Fenugreek sprouts are very good to use In a variety of ways in various dishes from salads to curries and Indian gravies . I also use them in sambar , curries , kootu , dosa and idlis . I also,grind them with rice and udad dal while making dosa batter to enrich the nutrition .
Fenugreek is one of those herbs that can be used as a seed or soaked sprouted in various dishes .it is particularly useful to women and breast health .
They can be grown either as micro greens or as seed sprouts .it is a treasure trove of medicinal properties and rich in Vitamin C , proteins, fibers , niacin, potassium, iron and alkaloids .,Research shows astounding benefits of fenugreek to diabetics .
It has properties that enables it to stimulate the production of insulin in body to counteract elevated sugar levels .
How to sprout Fenugreek seeds / methi seeds in your kitchen ?
1 small cup of fenugreek seeds / methi seeds cleaned and washed.
Soak the seeds in a bowl of water for a day .
The water should be just enough to cover the seeds .
Within few hours you will see the seeds looking bigger and water is getting absorbed.
Keep this bowl In a counter which gets light . Keep it covered for half a day with a lid that has holes . Any kind of lid will do . This is to enable the seeds get light and air .
After 8 hours or next day you can now transfer the soaked seed on to a colander and sprinkle fresh water . Place a container below to catch the drops of water from the sprouting seeds. The seeds would have started sprouting little . Turn them over so that all seeds get good light and water .
I just needed a small handful of sprouts so I used a tea sieve and placed the soaked seeds in it
I closed the sieve with a plate that had holes ( base of my rice cooker ! )
Keep Changing water and sprinkling water time to time .
By now the seeds would have shown a lot of sprouting . Within a day or two you would have got a good amount of seeds sprouted well .
Now drain the water and keep the sprouts covered with a plate or a cover that has small holes so that the sprouts remain good in the fridge . Use in dishes , salads or in gravies .
I prefer to cook my sprouts lightly even for using in a salad. I avoid eating raw sprouts of any kind even if home made . Just a little steam cooking is enough to soften . Sprinkle them in your curries while the veggies get cooked the sprouts will,also get cooked .
The benefits of fenugreek seeds and sprouts .
1. Research on patients with type 2 diabetes have shown a much lower level of sugar in their blood stream within 24 weeks of daily consumption of fenugreek .
2. It is a rich source of ami of acids that effectively induces the production on insulin for diabetic relief .
3. Research also shows that fenugreek seeds Helps in weight loss . It gives a feeling of fullness thus discouraging over eating It contains 75 % Soluble fiber which also stimulates a feeling of fullness .
4. Fenugreek is known to have cardiovascular benefits and studies have shown people who consume fenugreek on a daily basis have lower levels of cholesterol and hence lower risks of heart attack.
5. It also effectively controls levels of the fatty deposits found in blood called triglycerides which are responsible for cardiovascular complications. It is an effective source of potassium which regulates levels of sodium thus balancing heart rate and blood pressure.
6. Fenugreek seeds are known to have antibacterial properties which helps relieve symptoms of cold cough .Fenugreek seeds are known as anti viral too. It is a rich source of antioxidants that combat free radicals in our bodies that create much damage to our cells .
7. According to Indian traditional medicinal practices, fenugreek has long been used to aid digestion and to treat gas, flatulence and diarrhoea .
8.Fenugreek seeds helps regulate hot flashes and mood swings in women undergoing menopause
9. Fenugreek seeds is said to be beneficial for lactating mothers .It is said to boost milk production
10. It is said to be highly beneficial for good hair healthy skin .Asmit is a rich source of anti oxidants fenugreek seeds combats free radicals that damage skin cells . Therefore it is said to have to have anti age ing properties.
11. It can slow wrinkles, spots , fine lines and pigmentation on skin .
Consuming fenugreek seeds sprouts is good for clear skin and to clear acne It is known to cool the digestive system and relieves constipation