At the outset I wish to state that yes I have a recipe for Udupi Sambar already posted , This version has small changes in ingredients that's all but I loved it so much I had to try and post it as well , being a lover of all dishes from Karnataka particularly Mangalore and Udupi. We have many friends from these places and right from childhood I have always tasted cuisine from these regions more than those from Tamilnadu. So we cannot have enough of sambar recipes from this region. Give this recipe one try and you will have it in your collection of sambar recipes am sure.
North Karnataka cuisine is another favorite of mine.At some point we have all dined in various Vegetarian Udupi hotels commonly called that way! Even if that eatery had a name people tend to refer to that Udupi hotel!
While it packs quite a punch with blazing flavors of red chillies mingled with sweetness of jaggery which is used quite liberally in the region, there is something about this sambar which tempts you to have more idlis or dosa with which it is usually served. The recipe does not require onions and garlic, as most dishes coming from Udup are Saathvik by nature .
To roast and grind to powder.
3 tbsp coriander seeds
8 -10 red chillies either small round or Byadagi variety ( use lesser if you think it may be spicy)
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tbsp split udad dal
1/2 tbsp methi seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp rice
1/2 of a small of a coconut freshly grated.
Pinch of asafoetida powder.
1 tbsp coconut oil
curry leaves ...few sprigs
Other ingredients :
1 cup tomato puree made at home or finely chopped tomatoes
1 cup tamrind juice extracted from a small lime sized tamrind.
A big piece of jaggery powdered , reduce if you do not like the sweetish taste of this sambar.
(I took around 2 tbsp of jaggery powder).
1 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder for colour.
Salt as required.
1 cup cooked pigeon peas/toor dal
2 cups of mixed vegetables like chayote ( chow chow ), pumpkins , cucmber, carrots all chopped to smaller pieces.
Can be made with fewer vegetables too .
- In a pan add some oil and roast all the ingredients given under the heading on a low flame taking care not to burn,add coconut grated at the end to prevent burning..
- Keep aside to cool.
- In another pan add vegetables to cook with little water enough to cover the chopped vegetables with some curry leaves , salt and a pinch of turmeric powder.Add tamrind water too.
- Keep the toor dal to be cooked and mashed.
- Next grind to powder all the roasted cooled ingredients .Keep it aside .
- When the vegetables seemed to be cooked , take a pan, add some oil, add some mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add a generous pinch of asafoetida powder, add the tomato puree or chopped tomatoes, saute a bit, add the roasted ground powder and sautee well, till tomatoes have softened or the puree has cooked well with the ground powder.At this stage it will appear like a thick chutney, so add some dal water from the cooking vegetables mixture to lighten a bit.
- Add the sauteed tomato sambar masal mixture slowly to the cooking vegetables, tamrind mixture and keep stirring as the sauteed mixture may settle down in lumps.
- Now stir well, adding jaggery and a little Kashmiri chilli powder for colour .
- Give a gentle boil and add little more water if the sambar starts thickening too much.
- You can adjust the consistency of this sambar to your choice.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
Serve with idlis or dosas. Tastes good with rice too.
Roast all ingredients given under the heading on a slow flame.
Roasted ingredients, tamrind water and jaggery. The ingredients have been powdered, tomatoes pureed.
Boil vegetables with salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, tamrind water.
In a pan ,add oil, mustard seeds, asafoetida powder and add the tomato puree/chopped tomatoes
Add the roasted sambar powder, sautee well, add some Kashmiri chili powder to cooking vegetables .
Add some dal water to the sauteed mixture to lighten and prevent lumps in sambar , add to cooking dal and vegetables mixture. Udupi Sambar is ready.