Banarasi Dum Aaloo ( no onion , no garlic recipe )







Banarasi Dum Aaloo was on my wish list for a long time now. There are many varieties of Dum Aaloo , like the Kasmiri Dum aaloo, Amritsari. Punjabi Dum Aloo,  Bengali Dum Aaloo , most recipes having few variations but  imparting a delicious difference  according to the unique ingredients of the spice mix. 

Banarsi Dum Aloo has been a childhood favourite , during our travels to North especially Banaras , we practically lived on these dishes, parathas, and phulkas.
I remember ordering this dish everywhere and it has remained etched in my memory for ever. Am not sure  whether I got the authentic recipe but having gone through several, I realized many of them were from Tarla Dalal site , so  decided to try the same.http://www.tarladalal.com/Dum-Aloo-Banarasi-4313r

I haven't  made big changes to the original recipe , except I did not use garlic, honey from the ingredients mentioned  in the original recipe,  I  also reduced the no of red chillies from 8 to 4 as we do not eat spicy food.. I also skipped the butter , using oil instead. I shallow fried the potatoes instead of deep frying as per original recipe so make your choice. 


Ingredients:

15 baby potatoes.
Oil for deep frying/shallow frying.

For the gravy :

2 cups chopped tomatoes
4 kashmiri dry red whole  chillies
2 tbsp broken cashewnuts
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-8  cardamoms
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small piece of ginger
1 tsp coriander powder
Pinch of turmeric powder
 3 cloves garlic ( I did not use any )


2 1/2 to 3 cups water

Other ingredients:

1 tbsp roasted dried fenugreek leaves ( kasoori methi )
1 tbsp honey ( I did not use any )
1/4 cup fresh cream
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
 2 tbsp butter/oil
salt to taste.

Method:

Wash and dry the baby potatoes.Pierce with fork all around the potatoes and keep soaked in salt water for few minutes.

Either you can pressure cook for 2 whistles and then shallow fry as I have done or simply deep fry after drying well..

I pressure cooked for 2 whistles, then shallow fried till golden crispy.
Drain and keep aside on a paper towel

In a pan add some oil, add the chopped tomatoes and all the gravy ingredients , roast all the dry ingredients , then add tomatoes,  let the tomatoes soften to a mushy texture.Let this spicy tomato  mixture cool down. .Puree the mixture in a blender with little water to get a smooth paste.

In a pan add some butter or oil, add the pureed mixture, let it cook a bit,  till oil comes on top, gravy starts thickening a bit ,  add the roasted/ fried potatoes, add the other ingredients like  salt,  kasoori methi, honey ( optional )

Add fresh cream and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with phulkas or with jeera rice..