Poha /aval/Beaten rice vadas are so delicious and can be made quickly . This is a welcome change from the usual medu vadas, no need to soak for hours and grinding later...You feel like having a crunchy tea time snack you can make it even as your tea is boiling ..
1 ½ cup washed and cleaned poha/aval /beaten rice flakes, soaked in clean water for 10 minutes
2 tbsp rice flour
½ cup finely chopped cabbage, onions, your choice.
2 green chillies finely chopped.
½ tsp finely grated ginger
Some curry leaves.
Finely chopped coriander leaves.
Salt to taste
Pinch of asafoetida powder
½ tsp cumin seeds.
oil for frying
1. Grind the soaked poha to a smooth consistency , thick batter like usual vada batter.Batter will be ground quickly, two or three turns .
2. Remove batter and add all the other ingredients, mix well.
3. Batter will be thick ,which is good to make vadas, so don’t add too much water , else the vadas will absorb lots of oil while frying.
4. As the batter is thick, it is easy to shape vadas like the normal with a hole in the centre or make them like the saboodana vadas which is what I did.
5. Let the vadas cook well till a golden brown , these vadas will not get too much brown colour, but will crisp up very well.
Serve with chilli sauce, sweet chutneys, your choice. Goes well with a hot cup of tea.
Add grated potato or mashed potato to batter after it is ground . May enhance taste like saboodana vada, I haven't tried it but if any one does kindly share the outcome !
Shape into vadas like medu vadas or even pat lightly like a patty..