Beaten rice/poha/ Aval makes a great ingredient to make a different breakfast like this spicy , tangy tamrind rice using beaten rice.This can also be had for dinner , instead of the usual rice .
Ingredients: ( A)
1 cup thick variety poha./Aval
1 small berry size tamrind to make the spicy tangy sauce also known as Pulikaachal.
2 tsp peanuts for garnish
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp split udad dal
Pinch of Asafoetida powder.
2 red dry chillies.
1 tsp fenugreek seeds.
salt to taste
2 tsp oil/ sesame oil preferably
Curry leaves for garnish
1 tbsp curry powder.
Ingredients ( B )
to make a curry powder for the tangy tamrind rice , to be sprinkled after the poha is prepared .
1 tbsp dhania seeds / coriander seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 tsp white til/ sesame seeds
3 red dry chillis
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds.
1. Extract water from the tamrind after soaking in some warm water , around 1 1/2 2 cups.
2. In a pan , add some oil, splutter the mustard seeds, add the udad dal to brown , add the peanuts, let it turn golden and crisp, add the fenugreek seeds, when it turns brown, add the red chillis, add the curry leaves, pinch of asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, salt .Let the mixture boil to a thick sauce.
3. When the tamrind sauce is getting ready and thickened , soak the poha after cleaning with several changes of water to remove the dust if any, and then keep soaked for 15 minutes in water.Drain and keep on a colander to drain completely after 15 minutes , check if the poha has softened .
4. Meanwhile roast the ingredients given in list of ingredients for curry powder in B .
5. Powder the roasted ingredients and keep aside.
6. When the tamrind sauce has thickened considerably to a pasty consistency, add the drained poha, stir well to mix with the tamrind sauce evenly, add salt if you haven't added previously.
7. Just before removing from the flame add 2 tsp of the curry powder which we powdered after roasting, this gives a great flavor to the beaten rice .
If the prepared tangy tamrind sauce looks a little more, then keep some aside in a bottle, can be used later to mix with rice also for tamrind rice., and use only as much as you would like to have to mix with poha.
This pic is of a Tamrind poha rice made without using turmeric powder , so it looks more reddish.