It is always better to make Muesli at home with ingredients selected by you personally,.toasted muesli an easy-to-make and delicious breakfast recipe. The best thing is that it can be made in large batches and stored for up to a month in an airtight container.
Homemade muesli is made of rolled oats with a mixture of nuts, seeds, dry fruits, like golden raisins, apricots and cranberries., desiccated coconut, honey and a little oil. The ingredients are toasted in the oven for about 10 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled you can add some dried fruit like chopped apricots or dried cranberries.
You need to keep an eye on the toasting muesli to make sure it doesn't burn and keep stirring every few seconds all over for even toasting..
3 cups of rolled oats
¼ cup of sunflower seeds
½ cup of slivered almonds
¼ cup of almonds
½ cup of desiccated coconut
¼ cup of pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup rye flakes
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dry date pieces, chopped
3 tsp flax seeds
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
½ cup of honey
1 ½ tbs of oil
½ cup of dried cranberries or apricots, roughly chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300F./150 degree C
2. Heat the honey and oil in a small saucepan over a low heat.Let it simmer for few minutes around 3 minutes.
3. Take a large bowl to combine the rolled oats, the nuts, the seeds and the coconut., then add the warm honey mixture to the bowl and stir well to coat the dry ingredients.With the help of a spatula spoon the oats onto a large rimmed baking sheet and spread out.You can also use a round baking pan .
4. Bake the ingredients for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
6. Add the dried fruit and stir to combine well .
Store muesli in an airtight container for up to a month.
To serve, portion out in small bowl, add some fruit, skim milk, or low fat yogurt with a tsp of honey.