Cabbage molagootal is a very tasty gravy using coconut, spices and lentil. A complete meal by ittself when mixed with rice , its consistency can be made to suit one liking.
Molagootal is a popuar Palakkad speciality , which uses mainly coconut, cumin and pepper . Many vegetables are ideal for making molagootal, the most popular ones being, yam, pumpkin, amaranth leaves , ( Keerai Molagootal), beans and cabbage.
Having a thorough bred Palakkad person at home, my mom, who has largely influenced my style of cooking today. Having grown up relishing these tasty delicacies from Palakkad, am always hungry for such dishes.
I prefer to have this a little runny to be mixed with rice, though it tastes just as great with rotis too.
21/2 to 3 cups of finely shred dded cabbage.
1/2 cup moong dal/green gram/paasiparup
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp split udad dal for tempering.
1/2 cup finely grated fresh coconut
1 tsp udad dal ( black gram )
2 red dry chilis
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper
Pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste.
sprigs of curry leaves.for garnishing
2 tsp oil ( preferably coconut oil )
1. Pressure cook the dal and mash it while still warm and keep aside.
2. In a deep pan, first ck the cabbage with a pinch of turmeric powder, salt.
3. While the cabbage is cooking, roast the 1 tsp udad dal, pepper, red chillis and cumin till brown.
4. Grind to a paste the roasted ingredients with coconut and little water and keep aside.
5. When the cabbage is cooked, add the cooked mashed dal, and the ground paste and let is remain on flame for couple of minute till the ground ingredients blend well with dal and cabbage.
6. Make a tempering of mustard seeds, 1 red chilly, split udad dal and pour over the molagootal and garnish with curry leaves.