Beet root , carrot ,walnut bread








I saw a simple recipe for banana bread, however tempted I was ,   to try baking it, I knew my daughter wouldn't be too thrilled as banana is not her favorite ingredient in a bread or a cake or a muffin for that matter and with so many banana bread and muffin recipes floating around, I have been dreaming of baking one.

Finally I relented and decided to make  simple switch by using Beet root and carrots!!
Now what in the world made me think of this combination, don't know, just looked around and thought the beet root parathas  that I had made recently was appreciated even by beet root haters and so this was it!

I loved the colour of the batter and it so much resembled of the strawberry cobbler that I made last week.



Please note that the recipe is given as per original and so I have mentioned eggs as used in original recipe, so those wishing to use eggs can note the proportion.

Similarly instead of beetroot and carrots puree, the original is a banana puree, so choose your flavor.

Instead of using butter as per original recipe, I used 1/4 cup oil as I prefer oil to butter in my loaf/ cake recipes.Again it is upto you to choose any of this.
Recipe source..http://mybiscuitsareburning.blogspot.com/2014/03/banana-bread.html




Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup puree of beetroot and carrots  ( You can take half a beet root, peel and chop it finely and a small carrot, peeled and chopped finely)

1/2 cup butter ( I took 1/4 cup oil instead )

2 eggs as per original recipe (  I used 3/4 cup slightly thin yogurt)

1/4 cup milk or buttermilk as per original recipe ( I did not use any as I was already using yogurt )

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup nuts ( walnuts and added some raisins too )

1  tsp Vanilla essence

1 cup sugar

2 tbsp melon seeds to be scattered on top of batter before baking. ( optional )


Method :


Heat oven to 350 degrees F ( 177 degrees C )

Grease the bottom of either a 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pan.

Take a large bowl and blend the first six ingredients and beat 1 min ute at medium speed.

Stir in the remaining ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Sprinkle the melon seeds on top and bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. or until a toothpick comes out clean,.

Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.

Enjoy with coffee or for breakfast.


Puree of beetroot and carrot.