Another tasty gem of a recipe from the Punjabi cuisine. Kadai paneer is one of the easiest tasty Paneer dishes that can be made in minutes. It is a terrific blend of Indian spices added to soft cubes of cottage cheese called Paneer and julienne d bellpeppers.
A spicy tomato suace like paste is the only masala in which the cheese cubes and bell peppers are sauteed well to coat the paneer cubes and the peppers.
It imparts a very mild spicy tangy flavor to the dish making it not too rich and therefore you can have more of this dish. Hard to resist , Kadai paneer is surely one of the most sought after paneer dishes.
( This is a no onion no garlic recipe, you can add the same to this dish )
1 cup cubed cottage cheese
3 small bell peppers cut into thin strips or julliennes
3 small ripe tomatoes chopped fine.
1 tsp grated ginger
1 green chilli
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp kasoori methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing.
2 tbsp coriander seds
4 red kashmiri chillis dry .
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
Pinch of sugar ( optional )
1. Wash and chop the tomatoes, cut the bell peppers into thin juliennes.
2. Roast the coriander seeds and red chillis and keep aside .
3. Take a deep kadai or a wok as the kadia paneer is typically prepared in the kadai by sauteing it well .
4. Heat the kadai ,add the oil, let it heat up, add the cumin seeds, add the ginger, green chilli and sautee them.
At this stage you may add the garlic and onions if you wish.Add the chopped tomatoes and let it keep cooking to a fine paste like consistency, keep stirring and do not add water now.
5. Meanwhile coarsely powder the coriander seeds and red chillis and add this powder to the cooking tomatoes . Keep stirring and now add the remaining spices mentioned and the salt.
6. When the tomatoes have nicely softened and smashed , add the bell peppers and keep stirring.Add the garam masala powder too.
7. Add the cubes of paneer now and stir everything gently, so as not to smash the paneer cubes. The cubes must be well coated with the masala.Lastly add the crushed fenugreek leaves ( kasoori methi ) and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
We prepare the kadai paneer as a slightly dry version and not the gravy kind as this is greatly favored at home.This dish goes well with rice,rotis, phulkas and naans.