I have several quick fix recipes for grilled cheese sandwiches. Its simple, I find all the flavors that we like and tastes so much like a pizza, yet that can be done in minutes provided you have good fresh bread which we do always as something to fall back on or feeling rushed for time.
1. Some chopped cherry tomatoes...( cannot tell you how many exactly as whatever is left of the filling after we are done gets saved for the next day for a veg wrap or another snack. ) So I leave you to decide how much you want of the main filling ingredients.
Ordinary firm red tomatoes work just as well.
2. Red chilli flakes ....1/2 tsp
3. 2 tbsp jalepenos
4. 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp of mixed Italian herbs.
5 Pinch of white pepper.
6. Some pizza sauce.
7. Slices of whole wheat bread and some grated mozzarella cheese.
Pinch of salt.
2 tsp olive oil/cooking oil
1. Take a small skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, toss the chopped tomatoes, ad all the dry ingredients to lightly roast the tomatoes, taking care not to squash them. We do this so that the tomatoes get nicely infused with the flavors .Remove and keep aside to cool a bit
2. Slather the pizza sauce on the bread slices., layer the filling carefully , top with the jalapenos, sprinkle some more oregano, mixed herb if you wish,sprinkle some grated mozzarella. Prepare all the open face bread slices this way .
3. Take a flat pan , grease a bit and arrange the bread slice all over the pan and keep on a medium flame, the bread pizza bits is ready when the cheese starts melting and the bread browns over.
2. Grilled corn and cheese sandwiches:
Corn and cheese filling
1 cup sweet corn lightly cooked.
2 tbsp finely chopped green chillis.
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
1 tsp oregano
salt to taste
Coarsely grind to paste the above ingredients and use as filling to make grilled cheese sandwiches with your desired vegetables as layers.
The corn is just a filling layer and you can pile on lettuce leaves, shredded cabbage, jalepenos, cucumber slices and the grill them by sprinkling grated cheese on top.