Cherry Chocolate cake ( Egg free, Butter less)


I have been baking quite a bit , but never tempted to try chocolate cake.  I have baked chocolate muffins but this was far more decadent .Although my daughter does love this cake. I really cannot fathom the reason, why I never got into the mood to bake a real dark chocolate cake..Perhaps it is the dark colour of the cake that is so unappealing to me . Some colours just put me off. Specially in food.

But lately I have been seeing a lot of cherries in the markets and so many cherry recipes too and I thought why not. The cherry sitting on top of the dark chocolate really tempted me to bake and I am glad I did.

As I do not get the real good thick whipping cream that appeals to the eye, a good lashing of it slathered on the dark cake really does something .

After numerous unsuccessful tries at making good whipping cream using  our desi brands , I decided to give one last try. Though the whipping cream is not necessary , I felt it had to be used to enhance the visual appeal quotient. Am glad I did as this time I got the stiff peaks that I wanted.

This is the first time the cake got demolished within hours and my daughter happily shared with her class mates.Now I know where to send extra slices. I still haven't learnt to bake in small batches.  This is such a delightful experience , of biting into a perfectly moist cake with luscious cherries inside and the cream on top, heavenly!













































Ingredients:


1 3/4  cups all purpose flour
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup cherry preserves  ( if using fresh cherries, pit the cherries and make a cherry coulis by adding little brown sugar and let it cook till slightly soft. Let cool and use this in place of cherry preserves.)
1 cup granulated sugar or less
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup thick yogurt
3 tbsp oil
2/3 cup cherry preserves, reserved for glazing after the cake has baked.

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan.  Sieve all dry ingredients very well.
Measure out the all purpose flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and chocolate chips into a medium sized mixing bowl and combine well. In a separate bowl, combine the half cup of cherry preserves, granulated sugar, almond extract, yogurt and oil and stir.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. As yogurt is the medium we use to mix the cake batter a little more or less will not matter but use just enough to make a regular cake batter. It shouldn't be too runny or too thick.
Pour the batter into the greased 8×8 pan and bake for forty-five minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While the cake is still warm, spread the 2/3 cup of reserved cherry preserves on top of the cake.
Allow cake to cool and serve and enjoy. Use whipping cream for decoration if you wish and arrange glazed cherries on top.

Tip

If you don’t want to bother with measurements etc, then use a Betty Crocker  chocolate mix  box and recipe is already given on the box, add cherries and replace eggs with yogurt and butter with oil.
The recipe has been adapted from About .com with some changes.