Wholewheat Granola Muffin


Some of the most exquisite works of art and objects come out of simple things or effortless methods.

Often I  have observed that when I am challenged to produce something quickly in the kitchen without compromising on the taste ,health factor I just go by my instincts and am amazed myself many times by the brazenness of it all ! In fact I get quite a kick when I am doing such things without any particular method , simply going by my instincts and pretty sure many moms out there are doing this too or have experienced it and the thrill that comes when a job is well done is something to savor for days to come.

What the heck all this got to do with whole wheat granola muffins you might wonder. Well this was one such challenge I took upon myself.Well you really cannot call it a challenge after all it is only a muffin. But I give respect to anything that involves baking as  I am  the daring baker who defies the rules. First  and foremost
I absolutely refuse to use butter or eggs in my baking and till date,  all that  I have included in this blog is absolutely egg-free and butter free.

This is one of the reason I am avoiding doing recipes with pastry sheets or making them at home . The block of butter that goes into the prep of pastry sheet simply scares me.

Coming to my muffin, I have tried many varieties all using all purpose flour but I wanted to try with the whole wheat flour but the quality that we get here is something I wasn't too sure and the granola  either.

My daughter encourages me to try baking with healthier ingredients so I decide to try this one and I was very happy to see the little domes of muffin during  the baking , after I took the sneak peeks which the expert baker will not approve of. But I have to and it has become a ritual for me to see whats going on inside.

It makes it easier for me as I do not use the ovens which most people use but a self customized one which allows me to peep and no temperature setting etc. All I gotta do is to open the lid and put it back quickly.

Some day in the blog I will revel the picture of my own oven! Till then the mystery oven remains one.

 My experiments withe the wholegrain and granola muffin was a thumping success and next time I plan to make some more variations. Some pics of the story.




























Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour, 2tsp wheat bran.

½ tsp baking soda

1  tsp baking powder

1 cup granola ( home made or store bought). 1 tbsp bran

1/3 cup oil


¼ cup of almonds slivered or chopped nuts of your choice.

½ cup fresh yogurt enough to make the muffin batter

¼ cup packed brown sugar/granulated sugar  ( I have used sugar as per our choice. You may increase the quantity)

¾ tsp  of nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice as per individual taste

¼ tsp of vanilla extract

Method:


Heat oven to 400°F. Line with paper baking cups or generously grease muffin cups. 

In large bowl, combine  all the dry ingredients flour, granola, sugar, baking powder ,baking soda and salt; mix well. 

In a separate bowl add yogurt,  oil  , vanilla extract and keep stirring just until moistened.  Add the nuts. Mix the wet ingredients to the dry. . 

To get  a muffin batter you can adjust the quantity of yogurt  more or less to combine well. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 400°F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Serve warm. These muffins remain good in the refrigerator for three or four days , I really dont know as they never reach the fridge and get exhausted soon.

With Yogurt  for tenderness, whole wheat for healthy fiber, and granola for a touch of crunch and flavor, these muffins are a delicious way to start any day.