Bell pepper stir fry



Often times when I have run out of the side dishes but staring at some extra rotis or just need a quick side dish for the hungry child or hubby this comes to my rescue. Surprisingly I remember the recipe exactly as I made it while in school.

During school days when the lunch dabba got circulated , I think that is the time when our foundation for the future cooks in us got laid. We were always enjoying the other persons dabba and turned our noses away at what our loving moms rustled up even in the biting cold.

I was never a fussy eater and always enjoyed what ever my mom cooked as she always surprised us with a variety of cuisine from four or five states thanks to her upbringing and I think I got the same skill.

This particular bell pepper stir fry is so easy and not at all a dish to be documented . During our school lunch dabba exchanges I noticed this particular side dish always appearing in many dabbas and understood it is a popular dish from Maharashtra and  Dharwad  a small town that  has both Kannadiga  and Maharashtrian influence in its cuisine.













A school friend actually wrote down the dish for me from her mom which I entrusted to my memory and it is deeply etched. A simple dish but had a great nostalgia which I couldnt help sharing. Am not one for rambling or ranting in my blog but the dish evoked such sentiments so kindly bear with me.



Ingredients:


·                   3 big Capsicum / Green Pepper
·         1 cup Besan / Gram Flour
·         1 1/2 tbsp Oil
·         1 tsp Mustard seeds
·         1 tsp Cumin seeds
·         Sprigs of Curry Leaves
·         pinch of Hing / asafoetida
·         1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
·         3 slit Green Chillies or 1 ½ tsp chilli powder as per your preference
·         2 tbsp chopped Garlic /ginger paste (optional)
·         Coriander powder  1 tsp
·         Cumin powder ½ tsp
·         1 big onion (optional)
·         Salt to taste.


Method:


1.Add oil to the pan and heat on medium flame. 

2..When Oil is hot,add mustard seeds allow them to crackle then add cumin seeds and fry for 1 min,add curry leaves. 

3.Now add chopped onions , ginger garlic paste,salt and Besan flour.. Sieve the flour before adding.

4.Fry till the flour gets brown color..and stir continuously. 
5.when the onion and besan flour mixture gets browned and aromatic , then add turmeric, chilli powder and the other spices ..
Stir Fry for couple of minutes . 
6.And then add Capsicum pieces which are cut into small cubes. 

7. Don’t make the capsicum mushy .,it should be cooked yet retain the crunchiness so a quick stir fry is advised. Don’t put water, cover and cook. It will turn soggy and when you add besan it will turn to gravy.. 

Just a sprinkle will do if needed. 

Stir Fry for couple of minutes . it should be cooked yet retain the crunchiness so a quick stir fry is advised. The whole dish will be little dry but very tasty.

I have not included onions and garlic as I usually make this when I need a quick side dish, Adding besan will not take time. Better to add besan through a sieve over the pan to help it spread and not get clotted.

Some people first add all the spice powders in the besan and quickly stir till the raw smell disappears. That can be done after initial tempering.

Some variations is to add a tsp of sugar and curd.

This cooks real fast and you have a tasty , simple side dish ready in minutes.