Many times we tend to forget soaking the ingredients well in advance for dosa or idli batter.
Sometimes when we do remember it is at an odd hour when we cannot grind the batter late in the night neither can we leave it soaking to be ground later in the morning.
It is usual to soak the ingredients in the afternoon and grind them to batter by night so that it ferments and we can prepare idlis for breakfast.
When we forget to soak the dals then there is another remedy which many dont prefer but I have always got excellent idlis and dosas from this method.Infact out of sheer laziness many a time I prefer this method.
This method is very simple.
- I will detail my experience.
- Soak along with 2 tsp of methi seeds , 2 tbsp of poha or cooked rice also will do , 1/2 cups of udad dal or more depending on quantity of idlis you want to prepare.You also can soak and keep in fridge to be ground in morning.
- If you have time it shouldn't take long to grind in the mixie itself after soaking for minimum 2 1/2 hrs.
- Grind well in mixie using cold water from fridge and you can add little water too unlike in grinder where you need to use little water.
- After you get a nice frothy batter add 3 cups of fine idli rava straight into the ground batter and mix well with hand. If the idli rava grains is bigger then soak in water for 1/2 hour and then add to ground batter, mmix well. Add salt.The consistency of batter is same as that of ground in grinder. Add little water if need be.Keep batter in a big container as the batter will rise in volume.The rest of procedure is same.
There was a time when I soaked the udad dal at night before bedtime and kept it in the fridge during soaking.Early next morning I ground it well in mixie and got a lovely frothy batter. Added the idli rava into the udad dal batter and kept in a warm place in the kitchen counter.6.30 AM I ground the batter and by 10 am I could make the freshest sour free soft idlis. Ever since Ihave been doing this , I get nice idlis for afternoon also.I use the same for making nice crispy dosas too.
I tried and tested this at least three times and got excellent results.I may ditch the grinder for this method soon! See the pics for yourselves.