Avial is a popular vegetable gravy dish of not only Kerala but also in Tamilnadu. Almost for all weddings,religious functions and for festival lunches avial is prepared.
There are also so many variations in making this dish. I have given the recipe for the most traditional way of making as my mother has been preparing for years.
- 3 cups of vegetables like carrots,pumpkins,snakegourd,raw plantain,yam,potatoes,beans .( combined they should be 3 cups in all)
- you can choose any of the above or all but the quantitiy, depending on no.of persons to be served is mininum 3 cups of mixed vegetables.
- Wash the vegetables and peel them,cut them into thin long pieces but not too thin either as they will get mushy after cooking.
- 1 1/2 tsp of cumin/jeera
- 3 medium sized green chillies
- 1 cup of fresh grated coconut
- 2 tsp of rice four
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 cup of thick fresh yogurt may be little sour but not too much.
- salt to taste.
Cook all the vegetables together with salt and little turmeric powder which is optional.I do not use turmeric powder as we like Avial to look white.
You can pressure cook them but the pumpkin may get too soft so better put them all in a broad pan and cook with little water til they get just soft but not too much.
Grind to paste coconut with cumin and green chillies and little rice flour.
Once the veggies get cooked add the ground coconut paste and stir lightly so as to not make the vegetables crumble.The vegetables even after cooking should remain in whole long pieces.
Just before taking off from the gas add the fresh yogurt and let it simmer on low but not too long just enought to blend with the cooked vegetables and gravy gets little thickened.
Garnish with sprigs of curry leaves and towards the end add the coconut oil.Give a stir.
The heavenly aroma of coconut oil with blended spices and vegetables will emanate every where .